Saturday 6 June 2009

New Music: Mpho




Helen Of Troy... has long loved Echo Beach by Martha And The Muffins, so imagine our joy when we heard that one of our favourite artists of the year, Mpho (pronounced mmmpoh), had sampled the mighty Martha... and turned one of our favourite tracks into a proper anthem for 2009. Box N Lox, Mpho's début single is a catchy, lyrically savvy joy announcing the Brixton-based artist's arrival on the urban electro-pop scene.


This superstar-in-the-making's album, Pop Art, is out now. Filled with a panoply of highly-styled pop gems (have a listen to the album mini-mix on her MySpace page), Pop Art is a rare mix of exciting and accessible 21st-century classics. Check out the video for Box N Lox below, and let us know what you think.



www/myspace.com/mphosounds

6 comments:

conventionalfreak said...

Watching this video would have been an appalling waste of my time if it hadn't have been for the incredible sample from Martha and the Muffins' 'Echo Beach'. Lyrically shit and visually diabolical, the only saving grace of this tune is the hope that others will be encouraged to look up the original!

conventionalfreak said...

...although, I've just listened to the album minimix (also available on last.fm) and it sounds pretty good.


...and also, I hate to admit, the more I listen to Box N Lox, the more it works.

Helen of... said...

So are you prepared to say you were wrong in your original post? Hmmmnn ;) I know it's not your sort of thing sweetie, but it's pretty catchy stuff.

L
xx

conventionalfreak said...

No, I think it's a good mix of the sample - a good backing track... but wasted on the poor lyrics and video.

I think it could have been put to much better use :)

THAT's what I mean. x

Talia said...

I love it, but not as much as I love the Dimestars cover of Echo Beach. Do you have that? It pumps it up a little bit more for DJing I find x

Adem With An E said...

It samples "Echo Beach", and is not Gabriella Cilmi.

WIn all round I say.